Re: dead NIC, or ...?

burningclown@burningclown.com wrote:
I'm copying the results of 'cat /proc/pci' below. It seems not to be seeing the card at all.

On boot I *know* I'm seeing a message about modprobe not being able to find the 3c59x module scroll by ... is modprobe not finding the because the card isn't being recognized, or is the card not being recognized because of the module not being found? Sorry for the lo-level questions, I'm trying to understand. I did search the message archive a bit.

Thanks to anyone who may be able to help.

-SNIP-

It looks like your NIC hardware isn't being "seen" by the system. If it can't be "seen" then modprobing the module will fail.

I believe you said the previous NIC + Modem were "fried" by lightning?? If this is a known "good" card, then something might have happened to the connector on your PCI bus, or even the PCI bus. Try the NIC in another slot.

AFIK, the module for this card is generic enough to cover most versions of this particular card.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-