Re: I played with the devil now libc6 wants to update ...

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 09:12:47AM -0700, Sebastian Haase wrote:
> > Sebastian Haase posts :

> > I should kick  myself.....I was under the impression  that you had glibc
> > installed from source.  My bad. :(
>
> I actually had a bad feeling the millisecond _before_ I pressed <return> ...
> So - next time I'll try to coordinate my index-finger and brain a little
> better ;-)
>
> Now I'm back were I started (after practically overinstalling every
> package):
> Putting
> deb http://people.debian.org/~branden/ sid/i386/
> into /et/apt/sources   the new xfree-packages depend on
> libc with a package version just 2or3 numbers higher that what's in woody.
>
> Do I have to go through recompiling the source-package ??
> (because I think they are not all available)
> And HOW would I do that again ...?

I think you should be able to safely install libc6_2.2.5-14.

Put unstable into /etc/apt/sources.list
apt-get update
apt-get -s -t unstable libc6

"-s" will make apt-get simulate changes that would occur if you
actually did the installation. If changes look OK, rerun apt-get
without -s option.

Keep track of what gets installed; if you later want to downgrade to
the previous version of libc6, you can do so using apt's pin
priorities or with dpkg with --force-downgrade option.

--
Jerome