Re: dead NIC, or ...?

This one time, at band camp, burningclown@westhost43.westhost.net said:

> Hi -
>
> A couple of weeks ago my DSL modem and NIC (a 3C905C-TXM) were taken out by a
> lightning strike. Luckily I had a spare modem on hand - but I've been unable to
> get eth0 back up and running on my desktop since then.
>
> I purchased what I thought was a plain 3c905c-TXM card (aghh ... off eBay) but
> what I received was a 3CSM905CX-TXM ... when I queried the seller he told me
> that this was the newer version of the same card.
>
> But I'm getting "device not found" errors both in bootup and when I attempt to
> bring eth0 up with ifconfig. And the module for the NIC is apparently not
>
> I can ping localhost okay, fwiw.
>
> I'll post more exact error text when I get a chance, but I wanted to
> preliminarily ask - is it possible some other piece of hardware was taken out by
> the lightning (apologies if that's naive - this is the first time this has
> happened to me)? If this -is- an equivalent card, shouldn't services just come
> up as before? Or is there something else I need to burp?
>
> Thanks for any advice or tips,

Glen,

Try cat /proc/pci - that'll tell you how the kernel sees your card (or
if it sees it at all) and that may help you in figuring out which
module to load.  It may be that the new version of this card uses a
different module than the old.  This is sometimes the case when the
manufacturer changes chipsets, but keeps naming conventions the same or
similar.

HTH,
Steve
--
Tip the world over on its side and everything loose will land in Los Angeles.
		-- Frank Lloyd Wright