Odd behaviour

I just installed Debian 3.0 on my computer at home. I have no net there
so I made the 7 CDs.

My machine is a 166MHz with 98Mb RAM so I have removed GNOME and gdm
etc.. in favour of blackbox and login via console (starting X with
startx).

The problem is that if I type a wrong password, PAM displays the error
message in the console. Other messages that I would expect would be
logged to /var/log also appear. I guess I did a mistake when I compiled
the kernel, but I'm not sure what. I remove the pty-s from the kernel
(they are not needed are they?).

If anybody know why this happens and how I can fix it I would like to
hear from you.

Thanks in advance.

Preben Randhol
--
                 «For me, Ada95 puts back the joy in programming.»
                             More info at: http://www.adapower.com