pppoe on Debian -- Modem hangup

Hi,

If anybody has an experience with pppoe on Debian please help. I am trying to
configure my ADSL connection with Woody. When using Debian tools I get those
'configuration successfull' messages, but the connection is terminated
immediately. In /var/log/messages I find modem hangup messages. pppoe client
in Debian is version 3.3 and what I found there is a bit different than that
what is documented at Roaring Penguin web site, so instructions about
debugging connection do not help me a lot. My connection works fine with
RH7.3 though. Any suggestions how to debug and set up DSL connection on
Debian would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Slaven

P.S.
Please cc me, since I'm not on the list. Thanks.