Re: lexmark Z65 on debian?

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Kent West wrote:

> >The printer has it's own nic, and I have attached the printer directly to
> >a switch. When I do the procedyre for printing out the "info
> >page"(directly from the printer,not over network) I get
> >the MAC addr. and IP addr. It has also been given the IP for the correct
> >nettwork. I need to set a static ip, and from the dhcp it's an reserved IP
> >for the printer.
> >

> But you can't ping to it, from either the Windows box or the Debian box?
> Then something's wrong in your network. Bad NIC, bad cabling, bad
> numbers . . .

OK, clearing up her.
The network in general is almost perfect, the printer is not.

I was i contact with lexmark support, it took me almost an hour to know
that z65 does _not_ respond to ping.
You can, from windoze, use a tool from lexmark called "lexping" and can be
downloaded from their site.

So the printer is communicating, but I guess I got the princapfile wrong
configured.

> >OK, the senario is that the printer is still attached to the net from it's
> >own nic, and from an windoze9x box I have also tried to share it and print
> >via the windoze box, with no luck.
> >
> >The strange thing is how windoze commuticate withe the printer, even if I
> >know it got an IP, I cant Ping or nmap it! But I was able to use arp to
> >set an IP addr.
> >
> >But with samba, you meed that I scould install the printer on debian, and
> >then use samba to share it with windoze, insted of the other way around? I
> >have never done samba and printing, bunt nothing is impossible:)
> >

> Actually I meant the other way around, but Samba will go either way. You
> can attach it to the Windows box and share it and the Debian box can
> access it via Samba, or you cah attach it to the Debian box and share it
> with Samba and the Windows box can access it. But it my experience,
> Samba just adds complications (going either way), so I'd stick with
> printing to the IP address, once you get the networking issue (mentioned
> above) solved.

As I said further up, I tink now that the problem is the printcap file.

> >>On the other hand, if the printer actually has a NIC attached to it, it
> >>should work, but before chasing this path give us more info.
> >>

> >Yes, it scould be that easy, but no luck yet.
> >
> >Here is my printcap file, and with this one I tried to print trough the
> >shared printer on a winobx with the ip x.x.x.16 to the printer "lexmark".
> >It gives me no error, but doesn't print.
> >
> > lex|lexmark
> >        :rm=192.168.2.16:\
> >        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lexmark/:\
> >        :rp=lexmark:\
> >

> Until you can ping or telnet to the printer, you'll not be able to print
> to it with this printcap file. I'm suspecting now that perhaps the
> switch you're going through has some router or firewall functions that's
> causing some blockage. Do you have the Winbox and DebBox attached to the
> same switch? If so, can they ping each other? If so, suspect a hardware
> problem on the printer segment. If you can acquire or make a "rolled"
> cable (aka "crossover cable"), try using it to connect the printer
> directly to one of the computers and trying pinging/telnetting to it. If
> that fails, suspect a bad NIC in the printer or something broken in the
> printer (or misconfigured).
>
> Kent

Thanks for all help

/ernst