Local networking help please

Hi:

I have two machines that I want to network via ethernet, using crossover
cable. (box 1 on eth1  networked to box2 on eth0)
Box 1  running kernel 2.2.20
I issued as root

#echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

eth0 connects me to my gateway to the internet and works fine

eth1 is where I can't seem to get things correct??

contents of /etc/network/interfaces/
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian
installation# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.2
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.1.0
        broadcast 192.168.1.255
        gateway 192.168.1.1

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
        address 192.168.3.1
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.3.0
        broadcast 192.168.3.255
        up route add -net 192.168.3.1 eth1

Box 2
Running kernel 2.4.18

contents of /etc/network/interfaces/
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian
installation# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.3.2
        netmask 255.255.255.0