Re: Help with hdparm

chainy <chainy@infonegocio.com> [2002-08-27 04:26:55 +0200]:
> After spending a lot of time configuring hdparm (it begins to feel like some
> kind of addiction to get better results) I found that my results are quite
> modest, and feels like it should go faster.
>
> I have a 1st Mainboard SD11 with an AMD Athlon 500 Mhz.  The HD: Seagate 600
> GB 7200 rpm.

I have an FIC SD11 as well but with an Athlon 950 MHz.  I am running a
2.4.18 kernel.  DMA is enabled by default in the kernel for me.
(Which I remember as needing to turn on with previous kernels.)  I
have a Maxtor ATA/100 capable 60GB 7200 rpm currently installed and
these are my results.

hdparm -Tt /dev/hda

 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.84 seconds =152.38 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.96 seconds = 32.65 MB/sec

hdparm /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 multcount    = 16 (on)
 I/O support  =  1 (32-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 nowerr       =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    =  8 (on)
 geometry     = 7299/255/63, sectors = 117266688, start = 0
 busstate     =  1 (on)

> The mainboard people swears it's capable of ata/66 but i am only getting
> ata/33 to work.

FIC does claim that works ATA/66 works.  But I have never gotten that
speed out of my motherboard drive combination.  Otherwise it has been
a reliable performer for me.

Bob