Re: Help with hdparm

On Monday 19 August 2002 23:05, Bill Morgan wrote:
> On 8/19/02 10:46 AM, "chainy" <chainy@infonegocio.com> wrote:
> > My problem: i cannot find help with hdparm, some kind of FAQ or anything
> > like it.
>
> There's a good article on hdparm and its usage at
>
>   http://linux.oreillynet.com/lpt/a/linux/2000/06/29/hdparm.html
>
> Mine went from
>
>   /dev/hdb:
>    Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  1.93 seconds = 66.32 MB/sec
>    Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in 24.01 seconds =  2.67 MB/sec

>   /dev/hdb:
>    Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  1.92 seconds = 66.67 MB/sec
>    Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  3.46 seconds = 18.50 MB/sec
>
> After a few minutes' tinkering.
>
> Have fun...
>
> Bill

Thanks for that link, following the instructions there i could speed up my HD.

But after many hours learning about hdparm and testing some new
configurations it seems i cannot get the DMA to work.

My HD support's it and it looks like the motherboard also does (1st Mainboard
SD11).  But each time i try to turn it on the HD begins to fail and therefore
the system restarts it.

Any ideas why.

Thanks a lot.

Chainy.