Re: Rewriting "From:" in exim

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 01:23:02PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
| I'm wondering what exactly it takes to get systems using exim as an
| internet site with smarthost with the hostname host1.ursine.dyndns.org
| to send email as ursine.dyndns.org and not send anything bound for
| local users, like root, to root@ursine.dyndns.org, but rather
| root@host1.ursine.dyndns.org...eximconfig doesn't make it obvious.
|
| If anybody knows what it takes in /etc/exim/exim.conf or by using
| eximconfig, lemme know.

Hmm.  First of all, eximconfig isn't meant to be general-purpose, but
rather to provide 4 (common) categories of usage with a ready-made
config and provide a basic skeleton for others.

I think this rewrite rule will do it (I did test it a little) :

*@host1.ursine.dyndns.org \
  "${if eq {${lookup{$1}lsearch{/etc/passwd}{1}{0}}} {1}  \
        {$0}{$1@ursine.dyndns.org}}" \
  frFs

What it does is rewrite all addresses matching the pattern
"*@host1.ursine.dyndns.org".  The interesting part is what it rewrites
it too.  First it does a linear search through /etc/password to see if
the local part ($1) is a local user or not.  If it is a local user, it
rewrites the address to the same thing it was in the first place ($0).
If it is not a local user, it rewrites the domain part.

-D

--
In the way of righteousness there is life;
along that path is immortality.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/