Re: special character (like ü, etc) with windows key?

On Sun, Aug 25, 2002 at 01:38:02PM +0200, A.P.Munnikes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Now I can type ` + e and it give è, or ~ + n for ñ. But if I want to
> type 'cd ~' (go to my home directory) I have to type cd + spacebar + ~ +
> spacebar.
>
> Is it possible to make it so, that I can type cd + spacebar + ~ for 'cd
> ~' and something like 'hold down the windows (key with the MS Windows
> logo) or control key' and type ~ + n for ñ
>
> And of course the Euro sign, now by right alt + e, I preffer if that
> could also the windows key + e or something like that.
>

> In my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 is currently:
>
> Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
> Driver "keyboard"
> Option "CoreKeyboard"
> Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
> Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
> Option "XkbLayout" "us_intl"
> Option "LeftAlt" "Meta"
> Option "RightAlt" "ModeShift"
> Option "RightCtl" "Compose"

AFAICS, it appears you already have the right ctrl key as the compose key, so
just press that, then ~, then n. To use the windows key for this, you
kan make a file /etc/X11/Xmodmap and put

    keycode 116=Multi_key

in it. If you use gdm, it will run xmodmap with this file automatically.
xdm and kdm may do so too. Otherwise, you will have to run

    xmodmap /etc/X11/Xmodmap

yourself.  This will map the right windows key to the compose key. To
get the left one, use keycode 115.

You will need to change XkbLayout to "us" to be able to type cd +
spacebar + ~.

> I'm using Debian 3.0
>
> If possible, please give and example for the configuration file, or an
> url to a very good tutorial.
>
> Alfred Munnikes,
> and if possible, cc me the answer.

Done.

--
Note that I use Debian version testing/unstable
Linux mus 2.4.17mvz5 #1 Sun Jun 2 15:16:44 CEST 2002 i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux

Matijs van Zuijlen

    ... designed to fill holes or cracks of not more than two cubic vims.
			    -- Robert Sheckley, Untouched by Human Hands