Re: xcdroast problem (Re: SCSI emulation in kernel 2.4.17 Solved)

This one time, at band camp, Rob Weir said:
> On Sun, Aug 25, 2002 at 12:42:13PM -0500, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> > On Mon, 26 Aug 2002 03:33:36 +1000 Rob Weir <rweir@softhome.net>
> > wrote:

> > > Not if they need to work at the same time, as is the case here.
> >
> > Again, not true... not true at all.  Two devices can work together
> > flawlessly on an IDE chain.  If you're having problems getting them
> > to work, you've misconfigured something.
>
> Really?  I've always heard that you can only transfer data on one
> channel at a time, and thus burning while reading on a single channel
> is not possible.  Is this not true?

IDE controllers have 2 channels, master and slave.  They do each work at
the same time, but they share bandwidth.  You _can_ burn on-the-fly, but
I would recommend a pretty low speed if you do, because there is a
bottleneck at the controller.  This is also true to some extent of SCSI,
but the bandwidth and the bottleneck threshhold are much higher usually.

HTH,
Steve
--
Today is the first day of the rest of your life.