Re: xcdroast problem (Re: SCSI emulation in kernel 2.4.17 Solved)

On Sat, 2002-08-24 at 16:26, Gregory Soyez wrote:
> Well, you're right, I placed the burner (using SCSI emulation)  on the same
> IDE cable as the hard disk and I tried to burn from the hard disk.
> Actually, the guy I bough the writer suggested me to put the CD-reader and
> the writer on two different IDE cables in such a way I can easily copy from
> CD to CD. In such a case I had to put the burner in hdb because my CD-reader
> is not ATA100.
> If I understand correctly your argument, I should move the burner to hdd and
> pass through a temporary image on the hard drive when copying from CD to CD ?
> This may solve the problem, but maybe not.
>
> I also wonder whether this is a problem particular to xcdroast or if this
> will also be present if I use gtoaster ? (I never tried direct usage of
> cdrecord)
>
> On Saturday 24 di August 2002 23:19, Greg C. Madden wrote:
> > What is your setup for reading the image to be burned. Reading an image
> > from file, from a disk drive not on the same IDE controller works the
> > most reliable. If you have a burner & reader on the same IDE controller
> > you can have symptoms such as you described. Even with when reading from
> > devices on different IDE controllers you can watch the fifo % fill drop
> > on a regular timing.

I use Xcdroast, it is a front end for cdrecord, in fact (afaik) all
GNU/Linux cd burningapps use cdrecord.

I think your cdrom can use an ATA100 controller, the controller should
support other speeds. I have an all scsi box so I am not real clear the
finer points of configuring IDE controllers but ,imho, you can only use
one device per IDE controller, reliably.
--
Greg C. Madden
Debian GNU/Linux