Re: mozilla/galeon with gif support?

On Sat, Aug 24, 2002 at 03:11:24PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> I assume that the Debian galeon is just not shipping support for GIF
> files since we all know the non-free nature of them.  And in fact I
> did not notice for a long time.  Except to say that ad banners were
> less visible.  A nice benefit.  However, I ran into one site where I
> really wanted to see a GIF there and noticed that I did not have it
> and now can't figure out how to enable them.

I'm fairly sure that it's fine (in a legal sense, not a long-term
Freedom sense) to produce software that can view gif's, since the Unisys
patent only applies to the LZW _compression_ algorithm, not the
decompression side of it.

> I have another almost identical Debian installation with Galeon
> installed similarly and I _DO_ see GIFs on that installation.  And
> comparing the packages installed on those two boxes have also not
> yielded anything that gave me a clue yet.  Both are running galeon
> 1.2.5-0.woody.1.  So I believe there must be some other difference.
>
> Any clues?  I am sure I am missing something very simple.

Data point: ldd says my /usr/bin/galeon-bin is linked against
/usr/lib/libungif.so.4.  I'm using galeon from sid, version 1.2.5-1.

Do gifs show up under Mozilla?

-rob