Re: How to install NVIDIA Geforce 4 and SoundMAX audio on woody ?

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 12:28:29PM +0200, Emil Pedersen wrote:
> B T wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I am trying to install Xfree86 v.4.1 (woody/debian v3.0) on a dell
> > Dimension 4500 PC which comes with a NVIDIA GeForce 4 video card.
> > However xf86 fails with "no device detected" and scanpci  reports
> > and "unkown NVIDIA" device.
>
> Don't know if this helps, bu I think you need to download nVidias own
> modules.  I've not (yet) tried it on debian, but it works with mandrake
> and I guess X is mostly the same.
>   Basicly I just installed the to packages (rpm since it was mandrake
> but ordinary tar exists), adjusted the x config file to the new driver
> (vnidia instead of nv etc.), and it worked.

If you want to move to NVidia's proprietary modules, install
nvidia-glx-src and nvidia-kernel-src, it'll handle the build and install
for you.  They seem to work fairly well these days (they don't seem to
crash my box anymore, at least not yet), aside from slowing down
Eterm,aterm and wterm redraws.  Oddly enough, xterm is not affected.

-rob