Re: upgrade failure to woody: Internal Error

Sven Hartrumpf <Sven.Hartrumpf@FernUni-Hagen.de> writes:

> This failure has hit many other people (search the web for your
> error messages). It is reported as Bug #154670.

> As you can see, there are some work arounds
> - but no clean solutions yet.

Thanks for the suggestion.  That didn't work by itself, but it did
lead me to try some other ideas that did work.  For the record, the
following is roughly what I did, but unfortunately I forgot to log
everything.

When I tried 'apt-get install dpkg', it just complained about
pre-depends conflict, so I decided to get around that with dpkg.  I
used 'dpkg -i' to install libc6 and libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2.  That
required that I first find where the packages were on the cdrom, and
specify the exact path and file name.  Then when I tried using
'apt-get install apt', it started to work, but then quit and suggested
'apt-get -f install' to fix the problems.  I ran that, and it
immediately started upgrading the system.  I probably could have tried
using dselect at that point, but I didn't think of it then.

The apt-get died before going too long, but I finally upgraded most of
the system by repeating that and 'apt-get -f dist-upgrade'.  Several
packages were still held back, so I just used 'apt-get install' on
those packages to let it take care of their dependencies.

Hopefully this may still help some others who haven't been able to
upgrade yet.
--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org