Re: dselect ignorance

> Otherwise, my question is this: If I find an xxx.deb package at some
> site other than the debian stable distribution and wish to use it how
> should I proceed?  Download it?  Put it where?  Simply run dpkg install
> xxx.deb?  Edit sources.list and use apt-get install xxx.deb?  Or is
> dselect the preferred method to best manage dependencies?  If dselect is

If it's available in a source that apt can use, add it to
/etc/apt/sources.list.  If it's a standalone .deb, just download it
someplace convenient (your home directory will work fine).  Switch to root
(use 'su') and dpkg --install filename.deb.

I can't stand dselect.  I don't even use it in the install.  I'll take
apt-get and apt-cache over dselect every time.  There's also 'aptitude',
which I haven't tried yet.

HTH,
Chris Hilts
chilts@birdbrained.org