Re: Why is there no tool to make an identical installation on several PCs - or is there

Tom Cook <tom.cook@adelaide.edu.au> [2002-08-23 09:57:50 +0930]:
> On  0, "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> > on Mon, Aug 19, 2002, Guido Hamacher (ghamacher@aachenconsulting.de) wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am looking for a tool that allows me to do an identical installation -
> >
> > FAI
>
> I am joining this thread late, so I don't know if anyone has brought
> this up, but I have recently been quite impressed by the KickStart
> option when installing RedHat 7.2/7.3.  Using this I can boot from an
> install CD and specify:
>
> linux ks=http://1.1.1.1:80/ks.cfg
>
> as the LILO command, and it will automagically install and configure
> all the packages specified in that file (as well as other config info
> also in ks.cfg).
>
> Is there something like this for Debian?

Well, if you had read the message you were replying to, you would have
seen that Karsten was suggesting FAI for that purpose.  Fully
Automated Install.  So it is humorous that you are asking something
that was answered even before you asked it.

  http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/

  apt-cache show fai

And I will also suggest SystemImager which is a good tool for rolling
systems off of the assembly line.

  http://www.systemimager.com/

  apt-cache show systemimager-doc

Bob