Re: newbie trying to install an application

On  0, Peter Christensen <pchris@snip.net> wrote:
> I know this must be the simplest thing to do, but it's just not working for
> me!  I recently installed Woody, got the sound working, and now tried to
> install a basic CD player.  Since I'm using KDE I figured that for
> simplicity's sake I should install KCD.  How hard could this be for a newbie?
>
> So I did an apt-get install kcd (from my Debian CD set).  Along with kcd it
> pulled in libcdaudio.  It seemed to work OK because when I did a "find -name"
> I got:
>
> ./usr/share/doc/kcd
> ./usr/share/lintian/overrides/kcd
> ./usr/share/apps/kcd
> ./usr/doc/kcd
>
> (But "find -name libcdaudio" displays nothing.  Perhaps this is where things
> went wrong?)

Ok, I have just done the same on my system.  Now I do this:

# dpkg -L kcd
/.
/usr
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/libkcd.so.1.0.0
/usr/lib/libkcd.la
/usr/share
/usr/share/apps
/usr/share/apps/kicker
/usr/share/apps/kicker/applets
/usr/share/apps/kicker/applets/kcd.desktop
/usr/share/apps/kcd
/usr/share/apps/kcd/pics
/usr/share/apps/kcd/pics/play.gif
/usr/share/apps/kcd/pics/next.gif
/usr/share/apps/kcd/pics/prev.gif
/usr/share/apps/kcd/pics/stop.gif
/usr/share/apps/kcd/pics/eject.gif
/usr/share/lintian
/usr/share/lintian/overrides
/usr/share/lintian/overrides/kcd
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/kcd
/usr/share/doc/kcd/AUTHORS
/usr/share/doc/kcd/README
/usr/share/doc/kcd/TODO
/usr/share/doc/kcd/copyright
/usr/share/doc/kcd/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/kcd/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/lib/libkcd.so.1
/usr/lib/libkcd.so

This seems to indicate that there is not an executable in the kcd
package, but that it is a shared library loaded by KDE.

# dpkg -L libcdaudio0
/.
/usr
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/libcdaudio.so.1.0.0
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/libcdaudio0
/usr/share/doc/libcdaudio0/NEWS.gz
/usr/share/doc/libcdaudio0/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/libcdaudio0/copyright
/usr/share/doc/libcdaudio0/AUTHORS.gz
/usr/share/doc/libcdaudio0/README.gz
/usr/share/doc/libcdaudio0/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/lib/libcdaudio.so.1

Your find was not general enough; you needed to "find -name 'libcdaudio*'".

> There's a README in doc/kcd that says
>
> Installation:
> - kcd requires libcdaudio. Get it from http://cdcd.undergrid.net/libcdaudio
> (or any other source) and install it
> - build kcd as described in the INSTALL file

apt-get should do all the installation for you, or tell you what else
you need to do.

> I can't find the INSTALL file.  I tried adding the applet "CD player" (it's
> an option when I click on "configure panel") to the KDE panel, but nothing
> happens.

I can't help you here; when I right click on my panel and select
Add->Applet->CD Player my panel crashes.  Maybe its because I don't
have sound configured on this box?

> I've been looking through how-tos, faqs, and manuals, but not getting very
> far.  Shouldn't I be able to find an executable somewhere so that I can try
> running the app from the command line?  Would the executable end up in the
> /var directory?  (This is my understanding from the Debian User's Guide.)

No.  Executables should end up in a directory called 'bin', be it
/bin, /usr/bin etc.

> By the way, I'd be interested if anyone has a favorite CD player.  I picked
> kcd because I thought it would be integrated with KDE, but would be
> interested in any other recommendations.

Personally I just use the 'play' button the CD drive, but I can see
how you would find that boring.  To find CD players:

apt-cache search CD player

there are lots.  In particular there is a standalone CD player for KDE
(as opposed to the applet version) called kscd.

As for what I like, I seem to remember xplaycd being OK for everything
I wanted it to do; but then that wasn't much.  I think xmms plays cds
with a funky, winamp-clone interface (as well as playing other
things).  xplaycd is in package mctools-lite and xmms is in package
xmms.

Tom
--
Tom Cook

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Get my GPG public key: https://pinky.its.adelaide.edu.au/~tkcook/tom.cook-at-adelaide.edu.au