Re: newbie trying to install an application

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002 23:35:28 -0400
Peter Christensen <pchris@snip.net> wrote:

<snip>
<apt-get installed kcd>

> I've been looking through how-tos, faqs, and manuals, but not getting
> very far.  Shouldn't I be able to find an executable somewhere so that
> I can try running the app from the command line?  Would the executable
> end up in the /var directory?  (This is my understanding from the
> Debian User's Guide.)
>
> By the way, I'd be interested if anyone has a favorite CD player.  I
> picked kcd because I thought it would be integrated with KDE, but
> would be interested in any other recommendations.
>
> Thanks,
> Peter Christensen

Have you tried a "dpkg -L kcd | less"? This will show you all the files
that were installed from the kcd package. Just look for one of the
files listed to be located in a /bin/ directory, and try running that
from the command line. If you want to make dpkg's output to less even
shorter, try "dpkg -L kcd | grep bin | less".

HTH,
Jacob

-----
Windows:

32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit
operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written
by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

Linux:

The ultimate windows patch.

http://www.linux.org/