Re: Building debian packs

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 10:31:35PM +0200, Raffaele Sandrini wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am not able to build debian packages out of the KDE source... (the needed
> files are supplied directly via the KDE)
>
> I have the code installed and run:
> dpkg-deb -b <root_of_source>
> and i get the error that it can't open the DEBIAN dir. Ok i rename the
> "debian"
> dir to "DEBAIN" and then i get an error about parsing errors in the
> DEBIAN/control file...

AFAIK dpkg-deb -b is a very low-level tool that is invoked very late in
the build process (once the executables are built and installed into a
suitable directory structure).

You probably want to use one of:

    $ fakeroot debian/rules binary
or
    $ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot

the latter will sign your package(s) too

> Please don't say that their are procompiled versions avail...

Yes there are :-) (no: *you* said that! :-)

[Random signatures can be uncanningly accurate sometimes...]
\_| *DISCLAIMER* I do not know exactly what I'm talking about. |
  | Large grains of salt recommended to aid in digestion.      |