Re: build-source make question

"justin cunningham" <justincunningham@directvinternet.com> writes:
> Method= As normal user:  apt-get source qmail, sudo apt-get build-dep
> qmail, then apply patches like so cd qmail-1.03, fakeroot lnux --source
> http://site.org/patch | patch AND/OR fakeroot patch -d qmail-1.03 <
> apatch.patch,

(You shouldn't need fakeroot to apply the patches.  And if I were
doing it, I'd download the patch separately from applying it; if
nothing else, this would help me determine whether I needed to use
-p0, -p1, etc. to patch in a more repeatable fashion.)

> then fakeroot apt-get -b source qmail.

apt-get(1) implies that 'apt-get source' always downloads a new
version of the source before building it.  Before I had written:

>> But then you want to use the standard tools to actually build it;
>> 'debian/rules binary' with (fake) root privileges, or 'debuild' out
>> of the devscripts package, for example.

Either of these techniques should work to build the package
"correctly".  (You also might want to add a revision to the head of
debian/changelog, but this is less of an issue for qmail since there
can't be a binary package of it.)

You also might look at the other packages available in Debian; there
are several free MTAs available as binary packages (sendmail, exim,
postfix, and others...).  The vpopmail Web site[1] suggests that
vpopmail can be incorporated into postfix very straightforwardly
(though it also looks like it requires an extant qmail installation).

And yet another approach if you need to use software that isn't
available in Debian for whatever reason is to build it from the
upstream source and install it in /usr/local.  In this case you'd need
to use the equivs package to cause something to provide
mail-transport-agent for you.

[1] ...a kind of sketchy Web site, IMHO; they try to sell you qmail
and support for it, but it takes some poking around to realize that
they don't actually have any affiliation with Dan Bernstein and they
didn't actually write qmail.

	-- Abra Mitchell