Re: Reiserfs stability??

vellore satyanarayanan somasundaram said:
> Hi Friends,
>
>   Can anybody tell me how stable is Reiserfs? I would like to use
> it on a Linux machine which will act as a web server. I know that
> reiserfs is very good at handling small files. But what about
> stability and crash recovery????

my experience with reiserfs is limited to the 2.2 series of kernels
since I do not use 2.4 on a large scale yet.

reiserfs is great for nearly all applications in my experience,
I use it in things as small as 500MB partitions on laptops to
220GB raid10 arrays. both SCSI and IDE, I use it on about 15
different servers and probably 12 different desktops/laptops.

The only downsides to it under 2.2.x that I am aware of:
- no support for software raid 1,5 under 2.2.x kernels in reiserfs
- no support for badblocks under 2.2.x if you have crappy hard disks
such as IBM 75GXP it may not be a good idea to use reiserfs.

since reiserfs is the only stable journalling filesystem that I
am aware of for 2.2.x that is why I use it. And it is probably the
oldest linux native journalling filesystem. ext3, xfs, and jfs
are still quite new(xfs/jfs have a long history on their native
platforms)

nate