Re: system hangs

Marcelo Chiapparini said:
> Dear Debianners,
>
> I am running woody in a Athlon 1.4 system, with a ASUS A7A266
> motherboard, 256 Mb of DDR RAM, and kernel 2.4.18 compiled with the

Older revs of that board have some bad bugs in them according
to one of my co workers. I purchased such a board and never
got linux running on it. I believe in my case the PCI bus was
hosed, bus mastering was broken or something.. I traced it to
where i could:

- mke2fs a filesystem
- mount the filesystem readonly
- unmount the filesystem
- run e2fsck on the filesystem and see TONS of errors.

the end result would be I could do the first phase install
of debian but when the machine rebooted the drives were
totally screwed. I was using SDRAM not DDR and a 1.3 athlon
not a 1.4, 768MB ram not 256, and was using 2.2.19 kernel
not 2.4.18 ..I never bothered to return the board its still
sitting on my shelf a year later........And I was using
a Promise ATA/100 controller with dual IDE drives, same
drives that I used in a Asus CUV4X previously and the
same drives/controller that I used in the Tyan that replaced
the A7A266, no problems in either of the other boards.

If I were you I would research more on the board, find
what revision you have of it and try to find out if there
are known problems with it. If it were me I would just
switch boards, I do not have any reccomendations for
a replacement, I replaced mine with a Tyan board, which
supports SDRAM(I don't plan to use DDR anytime soon), but
it maxes out at 1.3ghz. It's been solid as a rock for
the past year.

nate