Re: Easy way to find the right software?

Thomas Schultz wrote:

> I am new to Debian and Linux and I am currently running Debian parallel to
> my Windows partition to see if it is worth the switch.
>
> The main problem I encountered so far, is to identify the right programs to
> use for any given application. There are so many packages out there - and it
> seems there is an infinite number of ways to do a given task - that it is
> just way too slow and inefficient to go through all of them. It would be
> great to have a place recommending applications which are stable and easy to
> use - sorted by application type. Or even better, a site which has a rating
> system for widely used applications.
>
> This would make the transition much easier for lazy windows users like
> myself. And maybe it would help me identify the uncounted number of
> applications that I managed to install already, most of which are silently
> sleeping on my harddrive.

Best to start by getting more familiar with dselect.
Type dselect, then go into the Select menu. Press '/'
then enter a word to search for. It will search thru
the descriptions of packages. To get the next search
match, press '/ <return>' or just press '\'. You can
also see what packages are already installed.

You might want to keep the windows system going if
you have programs with no linux equivalent. It can make
things much easier to put debian on a second pc and
connect with ethernet to the windows pc, and use samba
so you can see all your linux system in 'network
neighbourhood'.