Re: ext3 - corrupt

--- Klaus Imgrund <claus.imgrund@terra.com.br> wrote:
> Well,
> had a problem for some time when my machine was going overnight.
> In the morning there was either a black screen where there used to be
> desktop or a blank screen - could get anywhere any more.
> Today it finally quit on me - filesystem corrupted.
> My partitions go like this:
>
> /dev/hda1   fat
> /dev/hda2   ext3  debian
> /dev/hda3         swap
> /dev/hda5   ext2  data
> /dev/hda6   ext2  gentoo
>
> All partitions where mounted and only hda2 got corrupted - fixed it
> from
> gentoo.
> The hdd is about 6 month old and doesn't give me any trouble at all
> under normal conditions.
> According to the logs the machine was doing nothing - no errormsg's.
> The powersupply is ok.
> I did have some strange lines in the root-terminal - no idea where
> those
> came from.
> Since the install is pretty much hosed I am wondering what to do
> next.
> Go with ext3 again or try something else?
> I'd appreciate it very much if anybody could give me an idea what is
> going on here.
>
> Klaus

I had the same thing happen recently, random file corruption on an ext3
partition then lost the entire partition table.

I'm pretty sure the problem was with the hard drive tho, not ext3 as I
had a second, identical IBM hd fail completely at the same time.
(Third drive, a western digital was fine)

FWIW, a friend who sells systems tells me he's seeing an awful lot of
bad Fujitsu drives right now...

Patrick.