Re: New to Debian

Ken Schrock wrote:
Some newbie type questions

1. Is there a GUI interface to apt-get, dselect, etc. tool?
(I remember one being mentioned on the Fink list but don't remember
> the name)

aptitude
kpackage (in KDE)
synaptic
- there may be others, but I have used these. My current favorite is synaptic.

2. How to set up second eth card
   (install detected the first but not the second)

This is a two-level question. At the basic level is whether or not the hardware was detected and the proper "driver" module was loaded. Determining this is absolutely necessary before you can proceed to the next level of configuring it for use. I use the following "logic":

A. do a "cat /proc/interrupts" and see if you have both eth0 and eth1 listed. If eth1 is NOT listed, then you probaly need to load the proper "driver" module for that NIC. Which module to use depends highly on the brand of NIC or chipset it uses. Once you have identified the proper module needed, add it to /etc/modules and it will be loaded automatically on the next bootup. What brand of NIC is it?

B. If you have both eth0 and eth1 listed in the first step, then all you have to do is configure the second NIC for use. Basically you will have to edit the /etc/network/interfaces file and add appropriate config info for it. You should be able to do this using the existing file as a model and the info found in "man interfaces" to add a second "stanza" for eth1. There is a package called "etherconf" which I have found useful that might help. It will do this editing for you from a simple screen-based Q&A, but you will probably have to install this package as it is NOT part of the base install.

3. How to set up the sound card

This is highly dependent on WHICH sound card you have. The steps are similar to your NIC question, i.e install the correct driver module(s) then configure it for use.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but without specific hardware info it is difficult to give exact info...

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-