Re: a way to choose the runlevel 'a la Lilo'

On Wed, 2002-08-21 at 05:34, Jean-Michel Besnard wrote:
> I want to have runlevel 2 being the 'normal' runlevel where my services start
> at boot time and runlevel 3 to be a level where not all services are started.
> The reason of this need it too long to explain but what I am looking for is a
> way to be able to choose in which runlevel the machine should start.
>
> I would like something like when you choose which kernel or system you want to
> load when the LILO prompt is coming.
>
> I know I can choose the runlevel at boot time by giving like '
> Linux 2' for runlevel 2 but I want something nicer if possible (so trhe admin
> would not have to give 2 or 3 at the prompt time, and also I want to be able to
> do that remotely as I do by changing the default= value in /etc/lilo.conf &&
> lilo && reboot).

lilo -R <command line> && reboot is all you'd need. E.g.: lilo -R 'Linux
3' && reboot

> Is there a way to have like
> image=/boot/bar
> 	root=/dev/sda1
> 	runlevel3

image=/boot/foo
	label=lin3
	root=/dev/sda1
	append=3

After running lilo, you may say: lilo -R lin3 && reboot

HTH
--
Claudio Bley                                                        _
                                             ASCII ribbon campaign ( )