Re: Intel C++ vs G++ (was: rpm --initdb)

"Oleg" <oleg@tw304h3.cpmc.columbia.edu> wrote in message
[🔎] 200208202230.SAA01225@dewberry.cc.columbia.edu">news:[🔎] 200208202230.SAA01225@dewberry.cc.columbia.edu...
> On Tuesday 20 August 2002 05:37 pm, Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Another heads up. One of the ways the Intel compiler is getting
> > performance is by inline expansion of code. Compile a hello world C
> > program, the same as C++, using both gcc and ecc. Then compare the
> > binary file sizes. The Intel compiler is producing a very large
> > executable by comparison. The things done for SpecINT. ;-)
>
> Actually, I didn't notice any consistent performance improvement on a P3
Xeon.
> I was comparing
> icc -O2 -xi
> and
> g++-3.2 -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer
>
> Sometimes Intel is faster, sometimes G++.

Furthermore, it's /really/ hard to imagine that inlining has any significant
impact on a hello world C program. There's practically nothing to inline
there! If the ecc program is big, it's probably due to other factors. Did
you try stripping the executable?

           David Abrahams * Boost Consulting
dave@boost-consulting.com * http://www.boost-consulting.com