Re: rpm --initdb

Oleg <oleg@tw304h3.cpmc.columbia.edu> [2002-08-20 16:32:12 -0400]:
> On Tuesday 20 August 2002 04:11 pm, Bob Proulx wrote:
> > I took the easy way out and install the files in /opt/intel manually.
> > It is not difficult. ?If that is what you are needing then I will post
> > the details.
> >
> > Bob
>
> Well, I managed to install the compiler. (mkdir /var/lib/rpm was necessary
> before rpm --initdb, as someone suggested), and rpm --nodeps --force -i
> intel-i*.rpm did the job. Following that, I edited the */bin/icc file
> (INSTALLDIR variable needed to be set), and copied the license file into
> /opt/intel/licenses/. Everything seems to work so far.

If you are happy then I am happy.  It is just a shame that those
compiler packages are so crufty.

Another heads up.  One of the ways the Intel compiler is getting
performance is by inline expansion of code.  Compile a hello world C
program, the same as C++, using both gcc and ecc.  Then compare the
binary file sizes.  The Intel compiler is producing a very large
executable by comparison.  The things done for SpecINT.  ;-)

Bob