Re: Downgrading glibc + upgrading kernel?

David Abrahams <david.abrahams@rcn.com> [2002-08-20 20:54:44 -0400]:
> problem with Linux system administration?) ...I'm not sure I made the right
> distro choice anymore, given my desire to test with Intel C++.
>
> I hope somebody can convince me otherwise... I'm not looking forward to
> installing RH7.2 and trying to approximate the results of all the flailing
> I've done with Debian by flailing again.

I am coming late to this thread of discussion.  Sorry.  But I am using
the Intel C++ compiler on Debian with no trouble.  I am running woody
stable on the machines.  I am running libc-2.2.5-11.1 with a 2.4.17
kernel on one and 2.4.18 on another.  Works fine.  Pardon me if this
just does not fit with the previous discussion.

I have two complaints.  The Intel C++ compiler has its own shared
libraries that it installs under its install directory.  Which means
any binary that I were to ship will also depend upon that special
shared library, and it is a non-standard thing.  And two is that the
binaries produced are very large due to inlining.

Bob