Re: Woody: Making apt-get follow recommendations & suggestions

Colin Watson wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 12:35:23PM +0200, Holger Rauch wrote:
> > When installing a kernel-source-<version> package on a newly installed
> > system using apt-get, I realized that only dependencies are taken into
> > account, but not recommendations and/or suggestions. Especially when
> > installing a kernel-source package, however, it would be nice to get
> > everything required for compiling a kernel at once (meaning without the
> > need to look for additional packages).
> >
> > So, my question is: How can I make apt-get follow recommendations and/or
> > suggestions? If this is not possible, is using aptitude a possible
> > solution?
>
> apt-get was never designed for this sort of thing - it's not a full
> frontend. I understand aptitude does indeed take recommendations and
> suggestions into account.

And you can use aptitude on the command line, it's mostly compatable
with apt-get. aptitude install package, aptitude remove package,
aptitude upgrade, etc.

You may need to pass --with-recommends --with-suggests, I forget if
those default to on or not. To make sure they default to on:

joey@dragon:~>egrep 'Recommends|Suggests' .aptitude/config
aptitude::Suggests-Important "true";
aptitude::Recommends-Important "true";

--