Re: Question about 'mount: RPC: Program not registered' [SOLVED]

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 10:26:44PM -0700, nate wrote:
> Paul E Condon said:
>
> > An addendum to my earlier reply.
> > There was a slight difference in the behavior of the two systems to the
> > stop and start of nfs-common service: On the server, two services, statd
> > and lockd where said to be stopped and started. But on the
> > client, there was no mention of lockd in either the stop or the start
> > message. I suppose this is not really the core issue, but it will
> > probably have to be dealt with before I am really out of the woods on
> > this.
>
> in responding to another question I looked into the nfs-common
> script and it turns out that it automatically tries to detect if
> you need lockd or not, the client may be detected as not needing
> it. in any case, your right, having lockd isn't an issue
> to getting NFS working at it's most basic level.
>
> you don't have any firewall on the machine at all ? are you using
> the nfs-kernel-server package, if so is the module(if required)
> loaded? or is the nfs server built into the kernel(this is how
> I do it).
>
> and there are no errors when starting the nfs server? I'm not
> sure what else to suggest at this point, does the nfs process
> show up after starting the nfs server? anything in the logs?

When one finds the answer to a problem, the hardest thing to
understand is how you managed to miss it for so long.

In this case, the package, nfs-user-server, was not installed. Why
not? I can't say. My recollection is one thing, but my recollection
must be wrong.

Thanks for your help.

--
Paul E Condon