Re: rpm --initdb

On Tue, 2002-08-20 at 16:58, Oleg wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 August 2002 05:06 am, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 11:16:21PM -0400, Oleg wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > Trying to use "alien" hasn't quite worked for me, so I'm trying to
> > > install a few RPM packages using rpm that is part of Woody. But, when
> > > initializing the database "rpm --initdb", I get the following error:
> > >
> > > error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - No such file or directory
> > > (2)
> >
> > Whoa! Please don't do that.
> >
> > If you use rpm to install things, then the debian package management
> > system will not know anything about it. And rpm doesn't know anything
> > about the debian package management system. So they are very likely to
> > overwrite eachother's files....
>
> They are all supposed to go to /opt/intel (it's their C++ compiler), so no
> worries.

Here is a copy of an article I posted on linux.debian.user which might
help you:

> At first you need to make sure you have the rpm deb installed.
>
> # apt-get install rpm
>
> Then, I didn't want to install the compiler as root but as an ordinary
> user - and I also didn't want to mess with the global rpm database.
>
> At first I created a local rpm database in my home dir (You may skip
> this step if you want to install the package as root):
>
> $ cd ~
> $ mkdir .rpm
> $ rpm --dbpath ~/.rpm --initdb
>
> Then, go to the directory where you unpacked the tarball and run
> `./install`.
>
> Choose the appropriate machine type and the product you want to
> install. Choose a installation directory - I sticked with the default
> dir.
>
> When asked for the rpm options I specified
>
> --dbpath /home/bley/.rpm -i --nodeps

I just used the supplied install script. The default rpm database dir is
/var/lib/rpm - which you need to create if it does not already exist.

HTH
--
Claudio Bley                                                        _
                                             ASCII ribbon campaign ( )