Re: rpm --initdb

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 11:16:21PM -0400, Oleg wrote:
> Hi
>
> Trying to use "alien" hasn't quite worked for me, so I'm trying to install a
> few RPM packages using rpm that is part of Woody. But, when initializing the
> database "rpm --initdb", I get the following error:
>
> error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)

Whoa! Please don't do that.

If you use rpm to install things, then the debian package management
system will not know anything about it. And rpm doesn't know anything
about the debian package management system. So they are very likely to
overwrite eachother's files....

Instead: how didn't alien "quite work" for you? Error messages, etc?
Once you get alien to convert the rpm to a proper package, then the rest
should be easy...

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com