Re: Text editors: can't teach an old pigeon new tricks

On Sun, Aug 18, 2002 at 05:26:06PM +0100, Pigeon wrote:

<snip>

> I want the editor primarily for programming, and I have done a lot of
> programming in environments like Borland Turbo C for DOS and the HTDC C
> compiler for PIC microcontrollers, also for DOS.
>
> These editors provide, AT THE SAME TIME, Wordstar-like control-key
> commands AND alt-key-activated pulldown menus like those provided in
> DOS's EDIT. There is, of course, some duplication of functionality here.
> Personally I find it convenient.
>
> I have pored through the text editors provided on my Debian CD and can't
> find anything that bears more than the vaguest resemblance to this
> model, although it seems that it may be possible to customise most of
> them, with a lot of pain and grief. jed seems the least painful so far.
>
> I think it would be a lot easier to install something that already works
> the way I want it to, so that I can get on with writing number-crunching
> software. The important features are:
>
> - TEXT BASED (and compatible with SVGATextMode)
> - Accepts Wordstar-style commands, and
> - AT THE SAME TIME has DOS-EDIT-style pulldown menus
> - Ability to call one's own shellscripts by adding entries to the
> pulldown menus
>
> Does it exist?

<snip>

Jed. It can be configured to accept Wordstar commands and has menus as
well. Someone else mentioned CRiSP, which is similar to Brief (old DOS
editor), which is similar to Jed (if you configure it that way).

Jed (unlike most editors) has the capability to load a bunch of files,
exit, and when you start it up again, you've got all those files open
exactly where you were in each. Jed uses slang files to configure
itself, so you can hack it to your heart's content. Moreover, I believe
there is a preconfigured slang file just for Wordstar lovers.

Paul