Re: Questions on printing

Neal Lippman wrote:
> -SNIP- <

My problem is in getting other apps to recognize this printer; for instance, Mozilla only shows "Postscript/Default" as a printer choice, and I cannot figureout anywhere else to configure Mozilla to find my cups-based printer.

As another problem area, I do use MSWord (I have to for business purposes) under Wine from Crossover Office. The configuration guide indicates that I can send my output via xpp or kprinter, but I am somewhat unclear as to the difference between the two or which to use. Further, when I run xpp, it not only shows the above configured printer, but also one called "OfficeLJ", a legacy from when I tried to configure my printing via a cups server running on another system (which didn't work), and which I cannot seem to get rid of even though this printer doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere in the config files.

Any thoughts or pointers to _useful_ documentation would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
nl

I don't have any pointers towards any documentation... most of my knowledge has been gleaned from this mailing list and trial & error.

I have had good luck with getting non-KDE programs to print by just pointing the program to "kprinter" in the printer config setup screens. I also have installed the cupsys-bsd package and most programs that use "lpr" will print correctly without modification. Finally, if I make the printer defined in CUPS as the "default" in KDE, then most of the non-KDE programs will print correctly.

One "hint" I discovered by accident is to look in the "filters" tab in the printer config selection and add any you might need. I had to add the PDF (needs Ghostscript) filter to get PDF to print out.

So far, OpenOffice.org, Abiword, Mozilla, Gimp, Acrobat, xpdf, and all KDE apps print out correctly for me. Dunno if this will help you or not, but this is the best range of printer support I have ever had under Linux!

As I said, it took a little 'trial & error" to get to this point... The best advise I have is to scan Debian-User and Debian-KDE and look for posts on CUPS. If you find something interesting, try it out...

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-