Re: Why is there no tool to make an identical installation on several PCs - or is there

On Mon, 2002-08-19 at 13:19, Guido Hamacher wrote:
> I am looking for a tool that allows me to do an identical installation -
> packagewise - on two copmuters (or more). One ist already installed and
> running, the other has only a small installation of Woody running. Now I
> would like the second computer to have the very same packages installed
> as are on the first one. Since there is only a connection via the

on the system that is installed the way you like it:

old# dpkg --get-selections "*" >> /tmp/selections.txt

copy/ftp/rsync/scp the selections.txt file over to the clean system.

new# cat /tmp/selections | dpkg --set-selections

Then run dselect, and execute the install/configure/remove steps.

--
Mark Janssen -- maniac(at)maniac.nl -- GnuPG Key Id: 357D2178
Unix / Linux, Open-Source and Internet Consultant @ SyConOS IT