Re: Syncing during installation can prevent massive filesystem corruption

On  0, "Michael D. Crawford" <crawford@goingware.com> wrote:
[snip]
> Now my sad experience.  I was running a kernel before (2.4.14 for PowerPC)
> that I guess must have been buggy because I would get sudden lockups from
> time to time.  It seemed to come when there was a lot of filesystem
> activity, such as when doing an update.  Progress of the update would halt,
> X11 would become unresponsive, and I'd have to power off the machine.  I
> couldn't ssh in to sync the disk.

Did you know that you can configure your kernel for 'magic alt-sysrq'
keys for recovery in this sort of situation?  Alt+sysqr+s syncs discs,
alt+sysrq+u remounts everything read-only, alt+sysrq+b reboots the
machine.  These are available in all but the absolute worst of kernel
disasters.  Unfortunately you need to re-compile the kernel to
reconfigure them.  I'm not sure if the stock debian kernel supports
them - it is configuration definition CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ.

As for your other comments, syncing the disks may well help.
Journalled filesystems were made for this sort of thing.

Tom
--
Tom Cook

"My advice to you is to get married: If you find a good wife, you will be happy; if not, you will become a philosopher."
	- Socrates

Get my GPG public key: https://pinky.its.adelaide.edu.au/~tkcook/tom.cook-at-adelaide.edu.au