Re: Woody & network errors

It took a while, but we've discovered the source of the many errors.
The NIC cards being used we traced back to being Allied Telesyn 8139
based cards.  The DOS configuration utility that comes with these cards
allows you to set the TX-RX protocol.  By default, "auto" is selected.
Other choices are 10Mb half duplex, 10Mb full duplex, 100Mb half, and
100 Mb full.  With the default setting of auto, the cards do perfectly
fine in the Potato machines.  But for whatever reasons, once upgraded to
Woody, the errors start.  We found that by selecting any of the 4 other
options, and NOT auto, the cards run error free under Woody as well.
To test the theory we tried booting to DOS and setting it back to auto,
then bringing Linux back up.  Sure enough, almost instant errors on
eth0.  Repeat the process and set it back
to anything but auto, and both machines have run since saturday morning
and both show NO errors at all.   I tried this on one of the machines
using different kernels, and it made no difference with 2.2.18, 2.4.4,
2.4.18, and 2.4.19.   The key in all cases was the config of the NIC
itself using it's associated setup utility.