Re: Text editors: can't teach an old pigeon new tricks

Pigeon wrote:

> I am looking for a text editor that meets my personal prejudices!
>
> First may I say that I hope this doesn't turn into another vi v. emacs
> war!!! I have an approximately equal loathing for both of them. When I
> am forced to use the "standard tools" I prefer to use ed. (No, really, I
> do.)
>
> I want the editor primarily for programming, and I have done a lot of
> programming in environments like Borland Turbo C for DOS and the HTDC C
> compiler for PIC microcontrollers, also for DOS.
>
> These editors provide, AT THE SAME TIME, Wordstar-like control-key
> commands AND alt-key-activated pulldown menus like those provided in
> DOS's EDIT. There is, of course, some duplication of functionality here.
> Personally I find it convenient.
>
> I have pored through the text editors provided on my Debian CD and can't
> find anything that bears more than the vaguest resemblance to this
> model, although it seems that it may be possible to customise most of
> them, with a lot of pain and grief. jed seems the least painful so far.
>
> I think it would be a lot easier to install something that already works
> the way I want it to, so that I can get on with writing number-crunching
> software. The important features are:
>
> - TEXT BASED (and compatible with SVGATextMode)
> - Accepts Wordstar-style commands, and
> - AT THE SAME TIME has DOS-EDIT-style pulldown menus
> - Ability to call one's own shellscripts by adding entries to the
> pulldown menus
>
> Does it exist?

I haven't found any free ones. The best editor i've used that emulates
worstart-like/windows editors is Crisp, but it wasn't cheap. Borland
Kylix might also have a decent editor, but that's probably not free
either.

I've just found a reference to Dde which may be good:
  http://www.zipworld.com.au/~akpm

When i get around to it, i'm going to write my own wordstar-like
editor, and put all these vi/emacs dinosaurs to rest;)