Re: Text editors: can't teach an old pigeon new tricks

On Sun, Aug 18, 2002 at 05:26:06PM +0100, Pigeon wrote:
> I am looking for a text editor that meets my personal prejudices!
>
> I want the editor primarily for programming, and I have done a lot of
> programming in environments like Borland Turbo C for DOS and the HTDC C
> compiler for PIC microcontrollers, also for DOS.
>
> These editors provide, AT THE SAME TIME, Wordstar-like control-key
> commands AND alt-key-activated pulldown menus like those provided in
> DOS's EDIT. There is, of course, some duplication of functionality here.
> Personally I find it convenient.
>
> Does it exist?

Within the scope of Debian, I haven't seen anything like this.  Maybe
something for me to flex my programming muscles on because I programmed
under TC and TC++ and simply loved the editor.

Having said that, there are two editors that I use.  I use vi because I
also admin BSD boxes and don't control the software on them.  (So I'm
forced into using it.)  On my box at home, however, I use joe.  It
doesn't have the pulldown meuns, but it does have the Wordstar-like
control key combos down pat.  Just thought I'd share.

Edward Guldemond

Key fingerprint:  29FF 2969 A04E F934 3F03
                  4329 BC56 3AA7 2F57 6735