Re: Noise from monitor...

On Sun, 18 Aug 2002, Pigeon wrote:

> The "cascade" sounds like another name for the EHT tripler. This is a
> sort of "cascade" of diodes and capacitors which converts, not
> frequency, but voltage:

Indeed, you're right. I mixed up frequency and voltage. Sorry for that.

> it multiplies the EHT voltage from the line
> output transformer by 3 to supply the CRT, to which it is indeed
> directly connected. Its function is to reduce the voltage which the line
> output transformer needs to produce. Most sets have it built into the
> line output transformer but in some it is a separate unit. The noise is
> caused when its internal insulation begins to break down and the EHT
> begins to leak, and is usually followed by total failure.

That last part confirms we he told me too. He replaced something (I don't
know what, but I don't think it was the complete part) and the monitor
continued to function for more than a year after than before it just died
on me.

Thanks for your insight, it made me a bit more knowledgable }:-)

Grx HdV

--
Support bacteria -
they're the only culture some people have.

J.A. de Vries aka HdV
Delft University of Technology
Computing Centre

Email: J.A.deVries@DTO.TUDelft.NL