Re: Potato to Woody Problems

I also had problems upgrading X and GNOME from Potato to Woody (in addition to the apt problems that I described in an earlier post to this list). Two things you might want to look at:

1. Woody now comes with XFree86 4.1 standard in place of the old 3.3.6. You can tell whether it's installed 4.1 by looking for the file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. I don't know whether it's possible to have both 4.1 and 3.3.6 installed and playing happily with each other, but some conflicts between the two versions might be the cause of your problems. I ended up just upgrading to 4.1 and reconfiguring it from scratch. You want to look carefully at the package descriptions in dselect to see which packages go with which version.

2. Was your previous GNOME install from Ximian, by any chance? I had a set of GNOME 1.4 packages from Ximian on my potato system and they caused horrible problems when upgrading to the official 1.4 packages in Woody. I ended up having to remove all my GNOME-related packages before installing the woody packages. And some of the woody package names are different; again, careful examination of descriptions in dselect is helpful.

You mentioned specifically missing the GNOME manual. The GNOME manual package in woody is called gnome-users-guide, I believe; do you have that one installed?

Hope this helps,
Nick Weininger