sun to debian 3.0

hi,

I have noticed a problem, when I am logged into a sun ultra10, at
the local console, running CDE/openwindows and then  telnet into a
debian machine, my terminal type is causing huge problems. I can't
vi, my arrow keys are defunct, and I can't even clear the screen
because the debian machine does not know what ddterm is.

I set my term to xterm, but I still have problems. I can clear the
screen, but I can't still use vi, it only displays on the top line
of my dtterm window.

What should I do?