Re: multiple users, one ISP address?

On Sat, Aug 17, 2002 at 11:16:06AM -0400, Jeff Maxson wrote:
| Main question:
| Is it possible to set up exim or procmail or something to distribute
| email to different users, even through the same internet address?
| More detail:
| I've got a 4 year old that I would like to indoctrinate/brainwash/etc
| into linux instead of windows.  I've got him to goof around with
| xpenguins, xpuyopuyo, onko, and just plain old slammin' keys.  I'd
| like it if his grandparents could send him email too (reading with
| mutt and some help from Dad of course), but my ISP only supplies 1
| email address (mine).  If I ask the g-parents to tag their subject
| line "<kid's name>: blah blah blah", is there some way to set up exim
| or procmail such that if it sees any notes with that sort of pattern
| it gets routed to my kid's user account, otherwise send it to mine?
| It would be cool if I could pull that off...

Yes, that is actually very easy to do if the sender properly tags
every message.  For example using an exim filter file :

if $h_Subject: matches "^<kid's name>:" then
    save /var/mail/<kids_acct>

(assuming you have write permission on his mailspool; if not, then
forward the message to his account instead and let exim deliver it
locally, the way you would do it if you weren't the sys admin)

In the way of righteousness there is life;
along that path is immortality.
        Proverbs 12:28