Re: Noise from monitor...

Hall Stevenson wrote:
* Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson@cox.net) [020816 16:56]:

On Fri, 2002-08-16 at 15:00, Hall Stevenson wrote:

After one of my XFree86 4.x upgrades, my HP Ergo 1280 (17", model
D2840A) monitor started making a "noise". Sometimes it's a continual
sound, other times it's occassional. Whenever it occurs, it's _VERY_
annoying. I'm at a loss as to how to describe the sound... I guess it's
just a medium to high-pitched tone, sorta the "white noise" kind. Anyone
know what I mean ??

This does not occur with MS Windows, so it probably an XFree86-related
problem. My XFConfig-4 file has no modeline info as I think this was
removed starting with X 4.x. After sending this message, I'll restart X
and log the messages and look for anything interesting...

Has anyone ran into anything similar ?? If so, how did you solve it ??

X isn't configured correctly, and I think this is damaging your
monitor.  Do you have any backup copies of XFConfig-4?

Go figure... Since posting my message, the monitor hasn't made that
"noise" yet !!

I still think I'll reconfigure X and use the "simple" option when it
asks about my monitor. I trust it will use very safe HorizSync and
VertRefresh numbers.

Hall

This is probably too late if you re-configured, but chances are you are inducing an eddy-current in a metalic object from the magnetic fields around the deflection coils AND the frequency just happens to be at the object's natural resonance. Simply put, you have a very expensive, single frequency loud speaker <grin>. This can be a "bad" thing if the resonant object happens to be inside the CRT, but normally it is just a nuisance. Finding what is vibrating can be a PITA... If it is still under warranty, it might be worth while checking with the MFGR to rule out a loose element in the CRT, especially if you are operating it within the published limits.

Just out of curiosity, have or did you try cycling through all the various resolutions available? This will change the various vertical and horizontal frequencies used for sync at each resolution, and if my theory is correct you should notice it only at one particular set of sync frequencies.

Just a thought....

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-