Noise from monitor...

After one of my XFree86 4.x upgrades, my HP Ergo 1280 (17", model
D2840A) monitor started making a "noise". Sometimes it's a continual
sound, other times it's occassional. Whenever it occurs, it's _VERY_
annoying. I'm at a loss as to how to describe the sound... I guess it's
just a medium to high-pitched tone, sorta the "white noise" kind. Anyone
know what I mean ??

This does not occur with MS Windows, so it probably an XFree86-related
problem. My XFConfig-4 file has no modeline info as I think this was
removed starting with X 4.x. After sending this message, I'll restart X
and log the messages and look for anything interesting...

Has anyone ran into anything similar ?? If so, how did you solve it ??

Thanks in advance
Hall