Building a package from source

I have a debian box (mostly stable, a few packages from unstable) I'd like to install the cyrus21-imap server & related packages onto. (I'm dying to try out SIEVE mail filtering). Since installing the cyrus21-* packages will require me to upgrade libc6 (which breaks things quite badly right now - see bug 155904), I'd like to build these packages myself with my current version of libc6.

Is there a relatively simple way of getting the debian source and compiling it, and making .deb's?

I appreciate any advice or assistance.

Chris Hilts
chilts@birdbrained.org