Re: preventing Password logins with SSH2

nate <debian-user@aphroland.org> [2002-08-15 14:41:18 -0700]:
> on my more sensitive systems I do not permit password
> logins(RSA key only). This of course is set via the
> PasswordAuthentication no directive in sshd_config.
>
> When I ssh in with version 2(-2) option, since I do not have
> a DSA key on this particular host it skips the key based
> auhentication and prompts me for the password! which, if
> I type in the right one it logs me in! this is not the
> way I want it to work. I have already tested forcing
> SSH to use verison 1 only on a few systems and it works,
> but I would like to have version 2 available so I can
> migrate to it easier when the time comes.

I do the same thing here.  "PasswordAuthentication no" is enough on my
systems to prevent password capability in either protocol 1 or
protocol 2 mode.

I am setting this on the command line in my particular and unique
installation.  Perhaps that is important?  I am stacking an additional
daemon onto another port with this as an incremental difference.
Therefore I did not change the configuration file, I just created
another additional /etc/init.d/sshd.rsaonly rc file and added this as
command line args.  But you can test it manually on the command line
too.

  sshd -p 2200 -o 'PasswordAuthentication no' -o 'PidFile /var/run/sshd.rsaonly.pid'

Then try it.

  ssh -2 -p 2200 localhost

> Is there any way to prevent password logins when using
> SSH2 on openssh as included with woody?

Works fine for me.  Running the latest ssh-3.4p1-0.0woody1.

Bob